WHO IS A SCHOOL COUNSELOR?
* A NYS certified, specially educated and caring professional.
* A school person who provides guidance to all students.
* A resource person, facilitator, teacher.
* A person who helps teachers, parents, administrators and students.
* Student advocates
WHAT DOES A SCHOOL COUNSELOR DO?
* Provide indivdual and group counseling to students with academic, social, behavioral and crisis issues.
* Helps identify needs of students.
* Promotes positive attitudes and values among students.
* Aids teachers and parents in helping students succeed.
* Help students develop and build self-understanding and self-awareness.
* Help students relate to others.
* Serve as a bridge between home, school and community resources.
* Maintains confidences.
* Conducts classroom guidance activities.
HOW DOES A STUDENT SEE A COUNSELOR?
* Teacher or other staff referral
* Parent referral
* Administrative referral
* CST or CSE referral
* Self Referral (by asking the teacher to see the counselor)
We are located in room 221 (across from the computer lab)
WITH WHOM DOES A COUNSELOR CONSULT?
* Community Agencies
Not all issues are appropriate for counseling in a school setting. At times, we do refer parents to outside agencies for more intense or specific counseling.
WHO SEEKS HELP FROM THE COUNSELOR?
* I'm new and can't seem to make friends.
* I don't seem to be getting along with my parents.
* I get picked on a lot on my bus and I don't know what to do.
* I don't have a problem, I just wanted to tell someone that my dog died.
* I just have to talk to someone that will listen to me and not laugh.
* My parents aren't together anymore and it upsets me.
* We don't seem to be able to communicate with Suzie.
* Our son never seems to listen and we needs some ideas on how to get through to him.
* Jim has been bullied and needs to develop some coping skills.
* Toni's grandfather passed away and she needs someone to talk to.