WHO IS A SCHOOL COUNSELOR?
* A NYS certified, specially educated and caring professional.
* A school person who provides emotional support and guidance to all students.
* A resource person, facilitator, teacher.
* A person who helps teachers, parents, administrators and students.
WHAT DOES A SCHOOL COUNSELOR DO?
* Serves the general population
* Conduct social emotional learning lessons in the classroom
* Conduct character education lessons in the classroom
* Provide individual and group skill-building to students with academic, social and behavioral needs
* Help identify student skill deficits and supports response to intervention
* Promote positive attitudes and values among students
* Collaborate with teachers and parents to help students succeed
* Help students relate to others and build peer relations
* Advocate on behalf of students and their needs
* Provides crisis support for emotions and behaviors
HOW DOES A STUDENT SEE A SCHOOL COUNSELOR?
* Teacher or other staff referral
* Parent referral
* Administrative referral
* SST referral
* Self Referral (by asking the teacher to see the counselor)
Not all issues are appropriate for counseling in a school setting. We do refer parents to outside agencies for more intense or specific counseling.
WHO SEEKS HELP FROM THE COUNSELOR?
* I'm new and can't seem to make friends.
* I get picked on and I don't know what to do.
* I don't have a problem, I just wanted to tell someone that my dog died.
* I just have to talk to someone that will listen to me and not laugh.
* Jim has been bullied and needs to develop some coping skills.
* Toni's grandfather passed away and she needs someone to talk to.